Take part in a PhD research study investigating the effect of pre-exercise feeding on acute changes to bone turnover markers during exercise in young healthy males.
Receive a £100 Love2Shop voucher upon completing four visits.
Who can take part?
You may be able to take part if you:
- Are male and Caucasian
- Are aged between 24 and 32 years old
- Undertake at least 150 minutes moderate intensity activity and/or at least 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week
- Are otherwise, healthy, able and willing to participate
You cannot take part if you:
- Are a current smoker
- Are a professional athlete or take part in more than 4 structured vigorous exercise sessions per week
What would I be asked to do?
You will be required to attend the specialist facilities at the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre on four separate occasions. The visits will take place sometime between 1 October 2023 and 29 March 2024. There will be approximately 1 week between each of your study visits.
Across the study visits you will:
- Have a series of measurements taken including height and weight and be asked to complete a questionnaire that asks about your general health and physical activity level (visit 1)
- Have a DXA scan to measure your bone mineral density and body composition (visit 1)
- Be asked to run vigorously on a treadmill to measure your maximum oxygen uptake (visit 1)
- Be asked to follow a downhill treadmill running exercise that lasts for 45 minutes (all visits)
- Be given a three-day diet diary to take away with you to complete (visits 1 and 2)
- Have a cannula inserted into your hand so that several blood measurements can be taken throughout the morning: before, during, and after the downhill running treadmill exercise (visits 2, 3 and 4)
How do I take part?
If you believe you may fit the criteria of the study and would like more information, please contact a member of the research team:
Dr Jasmine Samvelyan (Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science)
firstname.lastname@example.org | 07947 623220
Dr Simon Bowles (Senior Lecturer in Nutrition)
email@example.com | 0114 225 4216