Cost of Living: Disability Support

cost of living

SU services, resources and tips

Support Groups/Liberation Groups

The Disabled Student's Society exists to provide a safe and welcoming network for all students who identify as disabled to come together with like-minded individuals.

We also have information on support and funding available for students living with a disability.

Help with claiming benefits

Whilst the majority of students are unable to claim state benefits whilst at university, there are some circumstances where you might be able to claim. Our Advice Centre has put together a detailed and informative guide to Universal Credit for people in higher education which includes who can claim, how to claim, and how much you may be entitled to. They also offer a benefits checking service, where you'll be able to sit down with an Advisor to discuss what you may be entitled to. Get in contact with them to find out more.

SHU services and resources

Disabled Student Support

Disabled Student Support helps over 4,000 students each year who have a variety of conditions. Sheffield Hallam's disability specialists can answer all types of disability enquiries, assess support needs, and provide support packages.

External services and products

Support and liberation groups

There are several local and national support and liberation groups for those living with a disability.

Some of these include:


You can check what benefits you may be entitled to using the Citizens Advice Benefits Checker. You'll also find information on different benefits and help you may be entitled to.

Alternatively, you can use the Government's Benefits Checker.

Government support

Applying for PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is extra money to help you with everyday life if you have an illness, disability, or mental health condition.

You can get it on top of Employment and Support Allowance or other benefits. Your income, savings, and whether you're working or not don't affect your eligibility.

Find out more about PIP online or apply for PIP.

Blue Badges

Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. They cost £10 in England, unless you qualify for a free badge.

You can apply for a blue badge on the Government or Sheffield City Council's website.

National Key Scheme

The National Key Scheme (NKS) offers disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country. Toilets fitted with National Key Scheme (NKS) locks can now be found in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations, and many other locations in most parts of the country. They are £5 and can be purchased from the Disability Rights UK website.

Information on this page out of date or something else wrong? Let us know by emailing