Postgraduate Funding

In order to be entitled to funding, you must meet the personal eligibility requirements and your course must be eligible.

advice hubMoney


Guide to funding

How much funding can I get?

In order to pay the 'home' rate of tuition fee and get student funding, you must meet the eligibility criteria.  If you are starting a course in the 2023/24 academic year, please refer to the Student Finance England website, which outlines the eligibility categories (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). The UKCISA website also has some information about the eligibility criteria.

Your entitlement may also be affected if you have undertaken study at the same level (or higher) previously, or if you have a postgraduate qualification.

There is also additional funding if you have a disability, if you meet the relevant criteria - as well as the opportunity to receive extra or different funding if you are studying a particular course such as social work or certain healthcare or teaching courses.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, what you may be entitled to, how student funding interacts with benefits, or you have any other funding questions, please contact the Advice Service who can provide a funding check and/or benefits calculation.

Some postgraduate courses are eligible for the same funding that undergraduate students can receive (e.g. eligible courses of Initial Teacher Training, certain pre-registration postgraduate healthcare courses); find out more about eligibility. However, generally postgraduate courses have specific funding entitlements.

Information about funding for postgraduate courses, including Master's Loans from Student Finance England, can be found in our detailed guide to postgraduate funding (note, this is currently being updated). You can apply for funding and find out more about what funding is available online via Student Finance England.

Find out more about Doctoral Loans from Student Finance England, including other sources of funding for doctorate level study.

Contact us with any questions about your funding entitlements.

Paying your tuition fees

If you are experiencing issues with paying your tuition fees, contact us to discuss your funding.  You should also see our section on tuition fee debt.

I haven't received my loan?

You will not receive any loan payments until a few days after you have enrolled on your course. You can check your online account and make sure you have submitted all the requested documents and declaration.

You can contact the agency providing the loan:

Student Finance England

0300 100 0607

Student Finance Wales

0300 200 4050

Student Awards Agency for Scotland

0300 555 0505

Student Finance Northern Ireland

0300 100 0077

Keep a record of any contacts you have with the agency.