Funding for Healthcare Courses

In order to be entitled to funding, you must meet the personal eligibility requirements and your course must be eligible.

advice hubMoney


Guide to funding

How much funding can I get?

In order to pay the 'home' rate of tuition fees and get student funding, you must meet the eligibility criteria.  If you are starting a course in the 2023/24 academic year, please see the information on the Student Finance England website, which outlines the eligibility categories for student finance funding (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). The NHS Learner Support Fund requires that you meet the criteria used by Student Finance England (or the relevant UK funding body depending on which country you normally live in). View eligibility criteria for the NHS Learner Support Fund. The UKCISA website also has information about eligibility criteria. 

Your entitlement may also be affected if you have undertaken study at the same level (or higher) previously, or if you have a higher education qualification. However, many healthcare courses have different rules about the impact of previous study on eligibility for funding, and you may still get funding even if you have studied a higher education course before (this will depend partly on whether you have registration already; seek advice or see the information on the webpages below).

View our information on undergraduate funding to find out about the funding you may be able to get from Student Finance England for your tuition fees and living costs. There is also additional funding if you have dependants or a disability, if you meet the relevant criteria.

New students studying a healthcare course can apply for funding through Student Finance England (SFE) plus additional grants through the NHS Learner Support Fund. More information is available in our guide to funding for students on healthcare courses.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, what you may be entitled to, how student funding interacts with benefits, or you have any other funding questions, please contact us and we can provide a funding check and/or benefits calculation. It is a good idea to do this before you start your course.

If you started your course prior to 1 August 2018, or if you're studying to be a doctor or dentist, find out more about NHS bursaries.

Paying your tuition fees

If you are experiencing issues with paying your tuition fees, contact us to discuss your funding.  You should also see our section on tuition fee debt.

I haven't received my loan?

You will not receive any loan payments until a few days after you have enrolled on your course. You can check your online account and make sure you have submitted all the requested documents and declaration.

You can contact the agency providing the loan:

Student Finance England

0300 100 0607

Student Finance Wales

0300 200 4050

Student Awards Agency for Scotland

0300 555 0505

Student Finance Northern Ireland

0300 100 0077

Keep a record of any contacts you have with the agency.