Related news


A university academic appeal is a formal process through which students can contest academic decisions, such as grades or disciplinary actions, based on specific grounds and seek a fair resolution.

academicadvice hub

I've received a decision or a mark I don't agree with, is there anything I can do?

You can appeal some University decisions, but only on specific grounds (reasons). If you wish to appeal, you must do this within 10 working days of the decision being made available to you.

Please read the following detailed guides to the appeals procedure and appeal form(s).

Guide to Sheffield Hallam University's appeals procedure

Guide to completing an AA1 form

Guide to completing an AA1 form (extenuating circumstances)

Scroll down for links to the University's appeal form(s) and procedure (the link is also in the guides). Please note, the appeal form (AA1) has recently been amended by the University and there is also a new separate AA1 form for stage 1 appeals relating to late notification of extenuating circumstances.

Appealing against a grade or mark

You can only appeal if:

  • There has been an error or irregularity in the marking process or if the assessment regulations haven't been applied properly
  • There is relevant new evidence or information that you did not provide and you have a valid reason why you did not submit it at the time

So, for example, you can appeal against a mark if you can demonstrate that some of your work wasn't considered. Or, as another example, if your work was marked according to the module criteria for a previous academic year.

You cannot appeal against a grade or mark just because you disagree with it or feel it is unfair, and you cannot appeal against academic judgement.

You may find it helpful to look at the University's policies and guidance relating to assessment, including about the workings of the Departmental Assessment Boards (DAB) and about the moderation and verification process. Additional information about how assessments are marked and what to do if you have a query about marking is also available.

If you are appealing because you had extenuating circumstances that you did not submit previously, you will need to explain the circumstances (with evidence) and give valid reasons why you were not able to submit a RRAA earlier, either within the 5 day timeframe or late but before the DAB. If your appeal is also late, you will also need to give a valid reason for this. Please note that there is a separate AA1 appeal form for appeals made on this basis.

Appealing against a decision not to award a RRAA

The Extenuating Circumstances (EC) Panel considers your Request for a Repeat Assessment Attempt (RRAA) for exams and assessed work that have been impacted by poor health or difficult circumstances. You can appeal against their decision if:

You believe the Panel has not taken into account the full impact of your circumstances, particularly if you have additional evidence

There has been an error in the decision-making process

The Panel hasn't followed the regulations properly

Additional assessment support provisions are available to certain students, such as those with Learning Contracts, carers, and elite athletes. Check if processes have been followed correctly in your case.

Appealing against a decision of an Academic Conduct Panel

You can appeal against the decision of an Academic Conduct Panel if you can demonstrate a procedural or administrative error, or if the penalty is too severe in relation to the misconduct that has occurred.

How to appeal

You should read the University's Appeals procedure first.

You will then need to use the AA1 form. Note, the University have recently introduced a different AA1 form for appeals made on the basis of extenuating circumstances not previously submitted. They have also made some changes to the main AA1 form. Please see the relevant guidance leaflet on this page for help in completing the appropriate AA1 form.

View details of all the University's regulations/processes


Appeals must be submitted within 10 working days of the decision being made available to you. If your appeal is late, you will have to provide evidence as to why you could not submit it earlier. If you have a valid reason to request an extension to the deadline for submitting your appeal, contact the department that deals with appeals: You should continue to work on the basis of your original deadline until you hear whether an extension has been agreed.

Stage 2 appeals

If you are not happy with the outcome of your appeal and you can demonstrate an irregularity in the process or unreasonableness, or supply new evidence that you were not able to provide previously with good reason, you can submit a Stage 2 appeal.

We can check your appeal, help you identify evidence and arguments, and guide you through the process. An adviser can attend Stage 2 Appeal meetings with you too (subject to availability).