Student Action for Refugees (STAR)
STAR is a national charity of 27,000 students welcoming refugees to the UK.
- Volunteer at local refugee projects
- Campaign to improve the lives of refugees
- Educate people about refugees and asylum
- Fundraise to welcome refugees
This year is the first year that Hallam University will have its very own STAR group. If you want to help support Refugees in Sheffield this is your opportunity to get involved. As a team you will get together and plan events and actions around the following themes:
- Building a connection between the refugee community of Sheffield and the Hallam University.
- Raising awareness of the situation of refugees in the UK and abroad.
- Campaigning and fundraising to improve the lives of asylum seekers and refugees in our local City of Sanctuary, Sheffield, and nationally.
When: This is a flexible volunteering role, the meeting times and days will be decided democratically by the team.
Commitment: 10 weeks
To find out more information about this role and similar opportunities, book an informal chat appointment with a member of the Volunteering team.
You can see more information about STAR here. www.star-network.org.uk/
Refugee Stories – Fri 15th November 6-9pm – Dorothy Fleming Lecture Theatre
A series of short films by Hallam students who visited Syrian refugee camps in Lebanon earlier this year.
Piano concert - Margaret Fingerhut – Weds 6th November 7.30pm – St Andrews Psalter Lane
Internationally-acclaimed pianist tells the story of many composers who were forced to flee because of war, persecution or to continue their work. The programme includes Chopin, Handel, Haydn, Grieg, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov and a specially commissioned piece by Arian, the Kurdish Syrian composer who wrote the refugee national anthem for the 2016 Olympics.
What are we up to?
There are no current news articles.
No elections are currently running
You decide - cast your vote