Your Student Officer Team have been working hard all year leading the Students' Union on your behalf, representing you and supporting your academic interests. If we listed all of their achievements we would be here all day. Here are just some highlights for you:
Mohammed Abdulredha, Welfare and Community Officer
- Improving the international student experience by setting up a guarantor scheme for housing.
- Increased the variety of halal, vegan and vegetarian food in the Students' Union and University.
- Did a lot of work engaging students with sports to raise awareness of mental health issues.
- Fundraised more than £700 for charity from events.
Davey Silver, Education Officer
- Successfully campaigned for additional microwave and hot water sites around campus.
- Campaigned to remove confusing multiple online assessment submission points.
- Organised several campaigns and charity events throughout the year.
- Took student concerns and feedback around course design to the highest levels in the University.
Josh Nimmins, Sports and Physical Activity Officer
- Raised hundreds of pounds organising and running a Charity dodgeball tournament for Sheffield Mind as part of the #MindyourHead mental health campaign.
- Ran a hugely successful “This Hallam Girl Can” campaign with the SHSU Women’ Officer organising free sport and physical activity for students on campus.
- Ran a joint campaign Disability Sport Week with the University of Sheffield Sports Officer and SHSU Disabled Students Rep to bring sport to all.
- Played a crucial role as a driver for a renewed Sports Strategy, bringing participation in sport and physical activity to the forefront of the conversation.
- Planned, organised and ran the 22nd Sheffield Varsity.
- Planned and organised the end of year celebration Sports Ball.
Luke Renwick, your elected Students' Union President
- Worked with our Volunteering unit to set up and promote the Fresher Reps system.
- Created a new accountability document for Officers for both Union Council and Trustee board.
- Hosted the City Campus Student Rep Welcome Event to over 200 students and ran 2 workshops on effective campaigning and change.
- Sat on my first Fitness to Practice panel and managed to successfully argue the case for a student to continue on their course.
- Completed the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency) Quality Code Review consultation along with our Director of Policy and Involvement, Advocacy Manager and Student Watchdog Manager.
- Completed the Office for Students Regulatory Framework Consultation along with our Director of Policy and Involvement, Advocacy Manager and Student Watchdog Manager.
- I was successfully appointed to become a Panel Member of the Student Panel in the Office for Students.
- I met with Universities Minister Sam Gyimah MP and raised the need for a greater focus on issues that affect students.
- Became the first student to sit on any of the University’s new pillar boards, specifically Shaping Futures, following an intense lobbying campaign for increased student representation on executive boards within the university.
- Gained local and national news coverage on racist incidents on SHU campus, forcing the university to act to tackle hate crime more effectively.
Beth Howden, Activities Officer
- Successfully introduced and ran the March intake Refreshers Week to welcome the new intake of nursing and paramedic students.
- Ran a Beth Will ‘Bee’ there campaign to get to know our societies and showcase the amazing talent we have amongst our societies.
- Set up a Societies Committee to increase engagement with our societies, ensuring that decisions are student led within the Activities Team.
- Ran fundraising and stress relieving activities, alongside the Uni Boob Team, for our students to get involved in for national awareness days such as National Stress Relief Day, Uni Mental Health Day and Wear it Pink Day.