Trips away from Sheffield can be one of the most rewarding aspects of being involved in a Sports Club. They are great for building social interaction can provide you and your members with some amazing experiences and shared memories. Although trips can be fun, you need to give careful consideration to the safety and welfare of your club members.
All trips outside the boundaries of Sheffield (with the exception of scheduled BUCS league and cup fixtures) that take place out of normal office hours (09:00-17:00 Mon-Fri term-time) must be formally registered with the Students' Union.
If you are planning a trip outside the UK, please book an appointment to see the Sports Club Programme Leader. A trip meeting should be held at least 20 working days prior to your proposed date of departure.
If you are planning a trip outside Sheffield's boundaries, but within the UK, please ensure that you read through the planning checklist below to help you plan a safe and successful trip.
Trip planning checklist
- What is the purpose of the trip?
- Who will lead the trip? (see Trip Leaders section below)
- Where are you going?
- For how long?
- How will you get there?
- Where will you stay?
- How will you pay for it? (Do you plan to subsidise the cost of the trip from your Development Fund or Club Account?)
- What is and isn't included in the price your members will pay? (It's important to be clear about this before any deposit or payment is made by club members)
- Has a trip form been completed?
- Has a risk assessment been completed?
- Do you have adequate first aid cover?
- Do you have suitable equipment for your planned activities?
- Are you clear on the emergency procedures in the event of a serious incident?
- Are your participants aware of purpose and nature of the trip?
- Are your participants aware of level of skill required?
- Have you checked the weather forecast? (Do you have a contingency plan in case of bad weather?)
Each registered trip must have one Chief Trip Leader and at least one Deputy Trip Leader. Depending on the size of your group, and the nature of your planned activities, the Chief Trip Leader may want to nominate multiple deputies to oversee specific elements of the trip.
Both Chief and Deputy Trip Leaders are required to complete a Trip Leader Registration Form before planning or delivering club trips. It is important that Trip Leaders understand that they have an increased duty of care to trip participants and must have an appropriate level of maturity, experience and competence to lead the planned activities.
Please contact the Sports Club Programme Leader if you have any questions about leading trips.