These sessions are an opportunity to learn new skills, relax in an informal setting, meet people and improve wellbeing through gardening. During the session you will get the chance to grow vegetables, plants and maintain crops. Other activities include making winter feeders for birds. Meeting in the greenhouse next to Mundella House, which is near to The Mews, it provides the opportunity to garden throughout the year. Once crops are ready you can take away what you have grown or they can be used to make a shared meal for the group.
Each week there is a schedule of planned activities and the session is led by staff. This is a practical and hands-on, which means you could get muddy - please wear suitable clothing and shoes. It is advised that you wear suitable clothing, all tools will be provide, and beginners are welcome- no previous experience necessary!
Gardening can be used as part of the 5 ways to wellbeing.
- Connect : Meet people, talk, listen and share with others and reduce isolation
- Be Active: gardening is a great form of exercise which benefits both physical and mental health
- Take Notice: be aware of the changing seasons around you and be and experience nature
- Keep learning: develop new skills and gain in confidence
- Give: share and support others whilst working as a team to grow crops and plants.