Uni is not what I expected

We often have high expectations for new starts, and it can be hard if things do'nt work out as we imagined. We understand you can face challenges at first and might need some support overcoming these. We are here to recognise and represent your issues.

I am lonely

It's not always easy to make connections with others. Lots of people feel isolated when they first start a course, even if they don't act that way. Luckily, we have lots of groups you can join and we can support you in finding your people. We also have projects and activities you can get involved in where you can meet like-minded people and create a sense of belonging. Find out more about upcoming events and opportunities to get involved. SHU wellbeing services also run workshops which are there to support you.

I have no money

Lots of students face concerns about money, and that's why we're running a year-long campaign on the cost of living crisis.

The University has a dedicated team who can provide support on how to manage your money, advise on financial problems and talk you through scholarships and bursaries.

If you have an issue with your loan, grant, benefits or debt you can contact our specially trained Advisers at our Student Advice Centre. We are here to support you.

I have issues on my course

You can contact your Student Support Adviser via Hallam Help. They are your pastoral support, meaning their role is to look after your needs whilst you are at university. It is important that they know how you feel. You can complain to them if you are unhappy. If they are unable to help, you can contact our Student Advice Centre. You also have a Course Rep and a Department Rep who could help you make change on your course.

I have a problem with my accommodation

If you found your accommodation through the University, you should contact them directly about any issues you have.

For any housing problems, you can also contact our Student Advice Centre. We always advise you to make a record of any issues you have and any communications you have about any issues that have occurred. This could be in the form of photos or emails.

You can also contact Shelter Sheffield.

As your SU, we always recommend you choose a Snug accredited property.

Something else?

We don't all fit into boxes; your issues may not be covered here. If that is the case, it's best to reach out to someone and let them know how you feel. Is there someone you trust in your life who is a good listener? Our Student Advice Centre are excellent listeners and offer a confidential service. SHU Wellbeing also offer a range of services to meet your needs.

Alternatively, you can view a full list of local services which you may find helpful.

Hallam Students' Union

6 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2QQ