I feel like giving up

Starting new things can be daunting and sometimes overwhelming. You are not alone in your feelings. If you feel worried about yourself or if you are concerned about someone else, we have some helpful information for you.

Who can I turn to?

Student Wellbeing service

The University's Student Wellbeing team provides information and advice for students, and you can contact them directly if you are feeling low.

They also have self-help resources for you to access online if you'd prefer.


Nightline is a confidential, anonymous, non-judgmental, listening support service run by students for students. They will understand and empathise with the problems you are facing.

Student Advice Centre

Your Student Advice Centre offers free, confidential and independent advice to all Hallam students.

Student Support Adviser

You can contact your Student Support Adviser via Hallam Help. They are your pastoral support, so their role is to look after your needs whilst you are at university.

SHU Report and Support

If you have experienced sexual violence, harassment, abuse or hate crime you can report it either anonymously or get support from an adviser through SHU Report and Support.

Local community mental health support groups

Sheffield has a wide range of support tailored to your individual needs, offered by groups such as TogetherAll, Mind - Sheffield and SAYit. SAYit is an LGBTQ+ support organisation for people aged 26 and under.

If you or someone else is in crisis, you can contact 999 (in an emergency), 111 (in a non-emergency), text 'Shout' to 85258, or visit Shout online.

Hallam Students' Union

6 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2QQ