Sheffield Hallam Students' Union Research
Sheffield Hallam Students' Union undertakes research to better understand your experience as a student. We also work with Officers, Part Time Reps, and Student Reps to develop their research ideas. By collecting feedback from you, we create a clearer representation of the SHU experience and present these findings in the annual Student Voice Report; see the Student Voice Report 2017/18 for the latest version.
The Student Voice Report is the main lobbying and advocacy tool produced by the Students' Union. This report establishes clear actions, priorities and goals which can be reached through a joint partnership with students and the University. The report considers feedback, both positive and negative, to give a fair and balanced view of what is working well, and what could be improved at Sheffield Hallam University. We, as a Students' Union and representative body for students, recommend actions based on student feedback and previous academic year's recommendations and actions are presented in every Student Voice Report.
Sign Up For Our Upcoming Workshops Below!
Your feedback matters! Every survey, focus group, interview, social media poll and other forms of informal research help us to understand your experience and lobby for what you want! Here are some examples of how your feedback has been used to contribute to making change for the benefit of Hallam students in partnership with the University:
You told us: Disadvantaged students need financial support from the University, and you're worried this will be cut. Our Student Voice Report recommended that: The University ensures funding to support its most disadvantaged students continues at the same or higher level. The University took action: £1million has been made available in student support funding, with students who fall into more than one of the eligible categories now able to claim larger sums for the support.
You told us: Food is too expensive at the University. Our Student Voice Report recommended that: The University improves the affordability of food at its outlets.The University took action: The 'Proven Bakehouse' brand has launched at Cantor and Heart of the Campus, offering a range of food available for £1 when purchased with a SHUcard.
You said: You want better transport links between City and Collegiate Campus. We did: A cross-campus shuttle bus is now in operation from the HUBS to Collegiate Campus every weekday during term time.
You told us: Gaining access to physical copies of core textbooks is difficult, especially during exam periods or near assessment deadlines. Our Student Voice Report recommended that: All core texts and recommended reading materials are accessible online for all Hallam students. The University took action: Core texts (where available from the publisher) are accessible online for all Hallam students. The Library has 27,278 eBooks in stock and add more every year.
The timeline below shows the work SHSU and SHU have undertaken to reduce teaching on Wednesday afternoons from 2012 to present day.
Current Research Activity for 2018/19
Every academic year, the Students' Union does research into the student experience to improve and enhance your time at Sheffield Hallam. Look out for these research opportunities to help create change at Hallam!
- Your University Experience Survey - this survey was open from 1 November - 14 December 2018 and looked at student experience and expectations of University. Results from this survey will be shared in the 2018/19 Student Voice Report.
- PGR Student Wellbeing Survey* - This survey was open from 12 November - 21 December 2018. Results will be shared in the 2018/19 Student Voice Report.
- The LGBTQ+ Student Experience* - partnership research between the Directorate of STEER and the SU, starting in February 2019. For more information, please see the Participant Information Sheet or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Consent and Culture* - planned research with SHSU Women's Rep for Semester 2. Currently under ethical review.
- Sport & Physical Activity Survey - let us know about your experience with sport and physical activity, whether you take part in competitive sport or have never laced up a pair of trainers. You could win 4 tickets to Varsity and £25! Complete the survey here by 1 March 2019.
*Please note: research designated with a * has been or will go through Sheffield Hallam University ethical approval process. For questions about this process or the use of your data, please contact SHSU Researcher, Liz Chitwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.