We realise that many aspects of life in the UK may be different from in your home county, and this may include your rights and responsibilities. We can give you advice on a wide variety of issues including housing, academic misconduct and your employment rights. Check out our FAQ's below for further information or contact us.


> What support is available to me?

International Experience Team (IET)
The IET offer support to international students from when you first apply all the way to the end of your course. They can offer you guidance on applying for your visa, help you find accredited English Language courses, and even help by picking you up at Manchester airport when you arrive in the UK. They also run workshops throughout the year around UK study methods and teaching styles to help you adjust to the academic style of Hallam.

For more information on what support IET offer, visit their website
Student Support Officer (SSO) Your department will assign you a student support officer, who can support you with any problems you might be having with your course. If you are ill, or if you have difficult circumstances at home, your SSO can make sure that your department are giving you the support you need, such as extensions on deadlines. If you are having problems, it's always a good idea to let your SSO know as soon as possible in case your issue may have an impact on any future assignments.

Students' Union Advice Service
The Students' Union Advice Service can offer you advice and guidance on a range of issues, such as academic, housing, employment, or finance. As the Union is independent from the University, we can help represent you at university meetings, such as academic misconduct or fitness to practise. We can also offer advice if you wish to appeal against a decision made by the university, or if you wish to make a complaint against the university. Our team of trained advisers can help you with any housing issues you may be having, or any financial problems that may occur during your stay at Sheffield Hallam.

> I'm having VISA problems/questions

If you have concerns with your student visa, you should speak to the International Experience team, who have a team of trained advisers dealing with immigration issues. As they helped in the process of organising your visa, they will be able to explain any problems to you and how you can resolve them.

> I'm worried about my fees/living costs

If at any point, you feel unable to pay for your tuition fees or living costs, you should contact the relevant departments right away. If you are struggling to pay tuition fees, you could speak to the sales ledger team to see if they would be willing to organise a repayment plan for the outstanding debt. If you are struggling to pay the rent on your accommodation, you should let the landlord know as soon as possible. The Students' Union Advice Service can help to assist and signpost you to the correct service if you are unsure of where to go.

If you find yourself in financial hardship due to unexpected circumstances, the International Experience Team has a hardship fund that you may be eligible for. However, this fund cannot be used for your tuition fees.

If you think you need help budgeting, this International Student Calculator can help you manage your finances by creating a realistic budget plan.

> How do I find accommodation if i'm not in the UK?

The best way to find accommodation whilst at university is through the University's Accommodation website

All of the accommodation listed on the website is 'snug' accredited. 'snug' is a scheme ran by Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield Hallam Students' Union and Sheffield City Council to ensure all students have access to good-quality, safe accommodation in the private sector. You can find out more about 'snug' and what it means here

Remember to read through your tenancy agreement carefully and make sure that you fully understand the terms before you sign it. There is plenty of student accommodation available in Sheffield so please do not feel pressured into signing for a property if you're not sure. We offer a free and impartial tenancy agreement checking service where we can make sure the terms of your agreement are fair and answer any questions you may have before you sign it. You can either visit us with your tenancy agreement or email a copy across to us.

You can find more guidance on what to look for in a student property on our Housing pages.

> How can I make the most of my time at University/Sheffield?

Sheffield is a really diverse and exciting city to live in and there is always something going on! You can check out the University's guide to Sheffield for Students to find out more.

Sheffield Hallam Students' Union has plenty of opportunities for you to get involved; from joining a society (or setting one up) or sports team, completing the Hallam Award, to taking part in volunteering projects - you can even apply to volunteer at the Advice Centre!

The International Experience Team run a whole range of activities designed to help new students make friends, experience different cultures and develop their employability skills as part of their GoGlobal Project. You can find out about these activities here

> What if something goes wrong?

If you have a change of circumstances while you're at university there are plenty of places where you can go for advice and support such as your student support officer from your faculty, the International Experience Team and here at the Advice Service. It is really important that you let one of these teams know what is going on so that they can offer you the right level of support.

Here are some examples of changes in circumstances or issues you might face while studying:

• Wanting to change course or university
• Academic Misconduct
• Illness and difficult circumstances
• Taking a planned break in studies or leaving University
• Repeating or deferring a year
• Fitness to Practice
• Fitness to Study
• Struggling with living costs or tuition fees

You can find more information out about these issues on our Academic and Money pages.

Whilst the same rules and regulations will apply to all students, if you are an International student some of these situations may also affect your visa. If you have any worries or want some advice on your visa conditions you should contact the International Experience Team.

> I need help finding a job in the UK

Many students have part time jobs to help fund their studies and living costs during their time at university. Part time work can also help you to meet new people, learn new skills and gain work experience.

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss National student you do not need to apply for permission to work in the UK whilst studying at university. If you are a national of Croatia you need to check UKCISA to see if you need a registration certificate before you start work.

If you're an International student you will need to be aware of your visa conditions on the hours you are allowed to work. You must adhere to these restrictions. You can speak to the International Student Experience team if you are unsure about how to check how many hours you are allowed to work.

The Careers and Employability team can help all students find part time work whilst at university. You can log in here to their Jobs and Events Database where you can search for vacancies. You can also visit them at the Careers and Employability Centre to book an appointment for one to one help with job searching.

International Career Enhancement (ICE) Club is also a great way to develop your employability skills. This scheme is part of the University's GoGlobal project and is open to all students. ICE Club offers part-time work and skills development sessions. Follow this link to find out more.

> What about getting a job after my studies?

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss National student then you do not need to apply for permission to work in the UK after you finish university. If you are a national of Croatia you need to check UKCISA to see if you need a registration certificate before you start work.

If you're an International student then this depends on whether you meet the requirements for any of the schemes that the UK Government operates. At the moment, the schemes that are most significant for students who have finished their studies are:

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur
Tier 2
Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)

See the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) for more information on working after your studies and the visa options available.