Here are some top tips on how to look after your mental health - these are based upon the 5 ways to wellbeing which also are the foundation for the Healthy Hallam Challenge, an initiative we are working on with the University! Check out more here
1. Connect and Socialise - Develop relationships with your friends and the people around you
- A good way to do this is to join a Society, get involved in social sport and come down to our Students' Union Events such as; Bar Phoenix pub quiz and Karaoke night.
2. Be Active - Get involved in all of our sporting opportunities
- The SU offers a range of opportunities to keep active, from our Sports Clubs to our Social Sports program. If this isn't for you Sheffield is a great city for going on a run or taking a long scenic walk. Find the activity you enjoy and make it a part of your weekly routine.
3. Learn Something New - Join a Society
- Learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and help you meet new people and develop new relationships. The SU offers over 60 societies for you to try out. When else will you get the opportunity to find out if you'll be the world's next best DJ or your love for cheese and wine?
4. Give to Others - Go Further and Volunteer
- Even the smallest acts, from giving someone a compliment to cooking your friend's dinner has proven to improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks. The SU has over 150 volunteering opportunities for you to get involved with. Don't have the time? Volunteer with one of our one off opportunities for the afternoon by walking an excitable pooch or visiting an elderly residential home.
5.Take Notice of the World Around You - Stop and Focus on the Present
- Reminding yourself to ‘take notice’ can strengthen and broaden awareness. Studies have shown that being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your well-being and savouring ‘the moment’ can help to reaffirm your life priorities, rather than worrying about your workload and focusing on being stressed. A good way to do this is to have a 'clear the clutter' day in your house. A clean house is a clean mind after all.
Headspace is a student-led group of passionate individuals who want to stamp out the stigma and taboo around mental health, specifically around Sheffield Hallam University campus. They do so through campaigning, specific mental health related stalls, arts therapy activities and much more!
Email - email@example.com
Facebook - SHSU Headspace
Twitter - @SHSUheadspace
As a students’ union we pride ourselves on acting as a sign post towards other services that are provided at the University and within the city for our students. We feel that it is massively important that you are aware of the welfare services available to you as a student at Sheffield Hallam. We understand that it can be hugely daunting coming to university, being responsible for your own health and not knowing what services you have available to you. The Students’ Union, as part of the Healthy Hallam Initiative, aims to provide students with the knowledge of how to live a healthy lifestyle while at university.
We also run the "Welfare Thursday" scheme which brings together support agencies from across Sheffield to provide our students with the best possible experience here. You can find out more here.
Student Wellbeing - 0114 225 2136
Student Wellbeing Blog