5 reasons to drink more water!
- Mood and motivation - The experts have written that even mild dehydration can have a negative impact on your ability to think. Sipping water throughout the day combats this, improving your mood and focus.
- Energy and efficiency - Do you often feel tired but can't work out why? It could be because you are dehydrated, under these conditions your body doesn’t function as it should. Feeling fatigued and lethargic is one of the first signs of dehydration!
- Digestion - Water is a key part of the human digestive system. It makes sure everything runs smoothly helping you avoid discomfort and constipation. Keeping properly hydrated improves your metabolism meaning you break down food helping regular bowel movements. Try a cup of warm (not hot!) water to support your digestive system, especially before it cleanses you ready for the next day.
- Weight - Drinking water with your meal helps increase the rate at which the body burns fat, and promotes the breakdown and elimination of fat cells. Try swapping a calorie filled fizzy drink with an ice cold glass of water or choose H2o every other drink on a night out, this helps you stay more aware of your alcohol intake and you will be thankful of that the morning after!
- Skin - Staying hydrated is an excellent way to great skin. Can't afford all those pricey skin care regimes on your student budget? Try a pint of tap water! Honestly, scientists have proven how great H2o is for blood flow to the skin leaving it fresh and looking good.
Healthy Hallam's Top Tips for Drinking More Water!
- First and last - A glass of water is an excellent start to your day and you will be well on your way to your recommended daily requirement of water to stay hydrated (2 litres). It helps wake you up, which is great for those of who are not morning people. Try warm water before bed to keep you on the track to hydration.
- Healthy body, healthy planet - Get yourself a re-useable bottle. Sipping water throughout the day is the best way to stay hydrated and carrying your own bottle around is the best way to help you do this.
- Water fountains - With a reusable bottle you can use the free water fountains around both campuses rather than buying expensive bottled water. You are also doing your bit for the environment by reducing waste.