One way of improving your mental health is by following the 5 Ways to Wellbeing:
1. Connect and Socialise - Develop relationships with your friends and the people around you
- A good way to do this is to join a Society, get involved in social sport or come down to our Students' Union Events such as the Hideout quiz and Karaoke night.
2. Be Active - Get involved in our sporting opportunities or active societies
- The SU offers a range of opportunities to keep active, from our Sports Clubs to our Social Sports program. If this isn't for you Sheffield is a great city for going on a run or taking a long scenic walk. Even walking to and from lectures can be a great way of keeping active! Find the activity you enjoy and make it a part of your weekly routine.
3. Learn Something New - Have a look at our amazing Skills and Training opportunities, or learn something new through a student society
- Learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and help you meet new people and develop new relationships. The SU has over 60 societies for you to try out. When else will you get the opportunity to find out if you'll be the world's next best DJ or your love for cheese and wine?
4. Give to Others - Go Further and Volunteer
- Even the smallest acts, from giving someone a compliment to cooking your friend's dinner has proven to improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks. The SU has over 150 volunteering opportunities for you to get involved with. Don't have the time? Volunteer with one of our one-off opportunities for the afternoon by walking an excitable pooch or visiting an elderly residential home.
5.Take Notice of the World Around You - Stop and Focus on the Present
- Reminding yourself to ‘take notice’ can strengthen and broaden awareness. Studies have shown that being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your well-being and savouring ‘the moment’ can help to reaffirm your life priorities, rather than worrying about your workload and focusing on being stressed. A good way to do this is to have a 'clear the clutter' day in your house. A clean house is a clean mind after all.