Undergraduate Funding

Undergraduate Funding 2021/22

Read our Guide to Undergraduate Funding

How much funding can I get?

In order to be entitled to funding, you must meet the personal eligibility requirements and your course must be eligible.

The rules around who is eligible to pay the 'home' rate of tuition fees and who can get student support funding have changed significantly for students starting a course on or after 1 August 2021.  If you are starting a course in the 2021/22 academic year, please see the information on the Student Finance England website, which outlines the categories (scroll down towards the bottom of the page).  The UKCISA website also has some information about the eligibility criteria

Your entitlement may also be affected if you have undertaken study at the same level (or higher) previously, or if you have a higher education qualification.

Some elements of student funding, including a portion of the maintenance loan, are means-tested and the amount you receive will depend on household income.

There is also additional funding if you have dependants or a disability, if you meet the relevant criteria - as well as the opportunity to receive extra funding if you are studying a particular course such as social work or certain healthcare or teaching courses.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, what you may be entitled to, how student funding interacts with benefits, what counts as income for benefits purposes, or you have any other funding questions, please contact the Advice Service who can provide a funding check and/or benefits calculation.

Please read our detailed Guide to Undergraduate Funding 2021/22 on this page, for lots more information.

If you have any queries in relation to this, please contact us.

You can also find information and apply for undergraduate funding on the Student Finance England website here

Can I get funding to repeat a year?

If you have failed a year of your course or had to take a break in study, and you have not previously repeated any years, you should be able to use your 'gift year' to fund an additional year of study. All Student Finance England funded students are allocated funding for the length of their course plus an extra year, which is called a 'gift year'.

If you have previously been enrolled on a different Higher Education course you may be subject to 'Previous Study rules' which may prevent you from receiving any extra years of funding needed to complete the course (this applies to fee support; you may still be eligible for support with your living costs). If this applies please contact the Advice Service.

Read our Guide to Compelling Personal Reasons Here

If you have experienced illness or other extenuating circumstances during the year you can apply to Student Finance England to grant you discretionary additional tuition fee funding for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). If you think this applies to you please contact the Advice Service for further information and support.  You can also read our Guide to Compelling Personal Reasons in our self-help resources section.

To apply for support on the grounds of Compelling Personal Reasons you will need to provide evidence of your situation from a professional agency/person, for example a letter from your GP giving details of your diagnosis and the dates it affected you (these need to be within the relevant affected academic year). You will also need to write to SFE explaining why you are applying and which year it is for.

If you only need to repeat part of the year, you should still remain enrolled on a full-time course and therefore be eligible for full-time funding subject to the rules around previous study. However, you may only get funding for part of the year depending on when you are required to be in attendance. To check your individual circumstances, seek advice from the Student Advice Centre.

I haven't received my loan?

You will not receive any loan payments until a few days after you have enrolled on your course. You can check your online account and make sure you have submitted all the requested documents and declaration.

You can contact the agency providing the loan:

Student Finance England - 0300 100 0607
Student Finance Wales - 0300 200 4050
Student Awards Agency for Scotland - 0300 555 0505
Student Finance Northern Ireland - 0300 100 0077

Keep a record of any contacts you have with the agency. You can use the phones in the Student Advice Centre at the HUBS for free and we can offer further support if you need it.