Postgraduate Funding

Postgraduate Funding

Read our Guide to Postgraduate Funding

How much funding can I get?

In order to be entitled to funding, you must meet the personal eligibility requirements and your course must be eligible.

The rules around who is eligible to pay the 'home' rate of tuition fees and who can get student support funding have changed significantly for students starting a course on or after 1 August 2021.  If you are starting a course in the 2021/22 academic year, please see the information on the Student Finance England website, which outlines the categories (scroll down towards the bottom of the page).  The UKCISA website also has some information about the eligibility criteria

Your entitlement may also be affected if you have undertaken study at the same level (or higher) previously, or if you have a postgraduate qualification.

There is also additional funding if you have a disability, if you meet the relevant criteria - as well as the opportunity to receive extra or different funding if you are studying a particular course such as social work or certain healthcare or teaching courses.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, what you may be entitled to, how student funding interacts with benefits, or you have any other funding questions, please contact the Advice Service who can provide a funding check and/or benefits calculation.

Some postgraduate courses are eligible for the same funding that undergraduate students can receive (e.g. eligible courses of Initial Teacher Training, certain pre-registration postgraduate healthcare courses); see here for more details.  However, generally postgraduate courses have specific funding entitlements.

Information about funding for postgraduate courses, including Master's Loans from Student Finance England, can be found in our detailed Guide to Postgraduate Funding 2021/22 on this page.  You can apply for funding and find out more information about what is available on the Student Finance England website here  

Information about Doctoral Loans from Student Finance England, and other sources of funding for doctorate level study, can be found here.

You can contact us with any questions about your funding entitlements via our Contact Us page

I haven't received my loan?

You will not receive any loan payments until a few days after you have enrolled on your course. You can check your online account and make sure you have submitted all the requested documents and declaration.

You can contact the agency providing the loan:

Student Finance England - 0300 100 0607
Student Finance Wales - 0300 200 4050
Student Awards Agency for Scotland - 0300 555 0505
Student Finance Northern Ireland - 0300 100 0077

Keep a record of any contacts you have with the agency. You can use the phones in the Student Advice Centre at the HUBS for free and we can offer further support if you need it.