The Students' Union Advice Centre is a free, confidential and independent service

Many students will struggle financially at some point during their time at university.  This might be due to having issues with their student funding application or because of learning to budget.

If you do experience financial difficulties, or have any questions, contact us as soon as possible. Our experienced advisers can help you to understand your rights and explore all your options with you. 

How much funding can I get?

In order to be entitled to funding, you must meet the personal eligibility requirements and your course must be eligible. The UKCISA website has detailed information about the eligibility criteria

Your entitlement may also be affected if you have undertaken study at the same level (or higher) previously, or if you have a higher education qualification.

Some elements of student funding, including a portion of the maintenance loan, are means-tested and the amount you receive will depend on household income.

If you are unsure about eligibility, what you may be entitled to, how student funding interacts with benefits, what counts as income for benefits purposes, or you have any other funding questions, please contact the Advice Service who can provide a funding check and/or benefits calculation.

Undergraduate Funding

If you are a full-time Student Finance England funded student starting in September 2017 you can get information here

If you are a full-time continuing Student Finance England funded student in September 2017 you can get information here

NHS Funding

If you are starting an NHS course in September 2017 you can get information here

If you started your course before September 2017 you can get information here

Postgraduate Funding

Postgraduate loans are available through Student Finance England, information is available here  

You can contact us with any questions via our Contact Us page

I haven't received my loan?

You will not receive any loan payments until a few days after you have enrolled on your course. You can check your online account and make sure you have submitted all the requested documents and declaration.

You can contact the agency providing the loan:

Student Finance England - 0300 100 0607
Student Finance Wales - 0300 200 4050
Student Awards Agency for Scotland - 0300 555 0505
Student Finance Northern Ireland - 0300 100 0077

Keep a record of any contacts you have with the agency. You can use the phones in the Student Advice Centre at the HUBS for free and we can offer further support if you need it.

Can I claim benefits whilst I'm a Student?

Most students in full-time Higher Education are not eligible to claim benefits for the duration of their course, including summer vacations. Part-time students are not affected by these rules and can claim in the same way as non-students.

The following students may be entitled to benefits:

• Lone parents
• Student couples
• Those with limited capability for work
• Disabled students
• Those who have taken time out from their course due to illness or caring responsibilities which has ended but they have not yet returned to their course.

If you cannot claim benefits as a full-time student your non-student spouse or partner may be able to claim on your behalf so long as they fit the normal criteria.

Calculating benefit entitlements for students is complicated and benefits agencies/local councils can make mistakes. Some student funding is considered as income for benefits purposes (including if you are entitled to funding but choose not to apply for it), but some is also disregarded. If you think you are entitled to benefits or have received a wrong decision contact us for a benefits check and further advice.

Is there extra funding available?

If you are in your first year, you can apply for the SHU Student Success Scholarship or, if you are not in your first year, you may be eligible for the Sheffield Hallam Hardship Fund.

You may also be eligible for other bursaries; use the calculator to check

The Sheffield Hallam Hardship Fund can also provide extra support for students who are experiencing financial difficulties due to unforeseen circumstances.

You will need to be in receipt of your full student funding entitlement and any benefits you are entitled to before an award can be made. The Advice Service can do a funding check for you. 

If you have applied on time for your funding but are still waiting to receive it, or you are experiencing a short-term financial crisis, you may be able to apply for emergency food vouchers.

The form and guidance notes are available here and give more details of who might receive an award and how to apply.

If your circumstances have changed you may become entitled to benefits or increased student funding. However, it will depend on your individual circumstances and you should seek advice.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

Full-time students do not generally have to pay Council Tax. You can prove your student status by downloading a copy of your Certificate of Student Status from 'My Student Record' which is part of SHUspace and submitting this to your local Council.

If you live with a non-student there may still be a bill to pay. You may be able to receive a 'single person discount' if there is only one adult in the property who is not exempt, for example, a spouse or partner.

You may also be entitled to Council Tax Support. Each Local Authority has its own scheme, so you should seek details from the relevant authority.

If you are not sure if you should pay Council Tax contact the Advice Service for further advice. If you are liable for Council Tax you should ensure that you maintain a regular payment agreement with the local authority. If you do not pay your Council Tax bill you may be issued with a Court Summons and Liability Order. Both of these incur extra costs. If you do not contact the local authority about arrears or fail to make payments, Enforcement Agents (formerly known as bailiffs) can be instructed to collect arrears from you. If you receive any letters regarding this action seek advice immediately.

Can I get funding to repeat a year?

If you have failed a year of your course or had to take a break in study, and you have not previously repeated any years, you should be able to use your 'gift year' to fund an additional year of study. All Student Finance England funded students are allocated funding for the length of their course plus an extra year, which is called a 'gift year'.

If you have previously been enrolled on a different Higher Education course you may be subject to 'Previous Study rules' which may prevent you from receiving any extra years of funding needed to complete the course (this applies to fee support; you may still be eligible for support with your living costs). If this applies please contact the Advice Service.

If you have experienced illness or other extenuating circumstances during the year you can apply to Student Finance England to grant you discretionary funding for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). If you think this applies to you please contact the Advice Service for further information and support.

To apply for support on the grounds of Compelling Personal Reasons you will need to provide evidence of your situation from a professional agency/person, for example a letter from your GP giving details of your diagnosis and the dates it affected you (these need to be within the relevant affected academic year). You will also need to write to SFE explaining why you are applying and which year it is for.

If you only need to repeat part of the year, you should still remain enrolled on a full-time course and therefore be eligible for full-time funding subject to the rules around previous study. However, you may only get funding for part of the year depending on when you are required to be in attendance. To check your individual circumstances, seek advice from the Student Advice Centre.

What can I do if I can't pay for a bill or money I owe?

If you are unable to pay something you may be able to negotiate with the company or person you owe the money to. The sooner debts are dealt with the better. The creditor may allow you to arrange a repayment plan. Don't increase your debts to pay things off and don't agree to an unaffordable repayment plan.

Some debts are classed as priority debts - these are considered the most important and the ones you should pay first.

• Mortgage or rent
• Council Tax
• Utilities - gas, electricity and water
• Court fines
• Hire purchase for essential items
• TV Licence

Non-payment of priority debts may lead to eviction, Enforcement Agent warrants, disconnection of supply, goods repossession, magistrate's fines and County Court Judgements.

Non-priority debts include;

• Bank loans and overdrafts
• Credit cards, store cards and catalogues
• Hire purchase for non-essential items
• Pay day loans
• Telephone
• Informal loan from friends or family

Non-payment of non-priority debts may lead to interest and charges added to the debt, goods being repossessed, or County Court Judgements.

Debts to the University could result in you being unable to progress, graduate or being excluded from University IT access until any money owed is paid.

If you are concerned about money you owe and what you should do contact the Advice Service for help immediately.


The University offers a free online resource, Blackbulion, to help you learn how to manage your money. 89% of the students who use it feel more confident about their financial future. Visit to start saving today.  

Financial Services Register No: 618832

Budget Planner