Your fellow students have elected you to represent them to shape their academic experience.
Congratulations on becoming a Course Rep!
You'll play a huge role in representing students on your course to make Hallam a better place to work and study!
How do I gather feedback from my coursemates? ↓
• You can use Google Forms, Survey Monkey or even polls in Facebook groups!
• Keep your questions simple
• Make sure your questions aren't leading respondents to give certain responses
FACE TO FACE
• Ask your lecturer for 5 minutes at the start or the end of a lecture/seminar to gather feedback
• Set up your own informal session to gather feedback from your cohort
• When waiting for a lecture to start, it's likely students will be talking about issues on their course so keep an ear out...
• Use a range of platforms! Different people use different platforms for a range of reasons - use them as you feel appropriate
• Share information and ask questions in the way your course tend to talk to each other already - do you have a course Facebook group or chat you can use?
• Remember not everyone is on social media, so use other methods too
• Click here to learn how to email your coursemates using the Students' Union website
• Use an eye-catching subject line and clear language
• Don't use too much text -- focus on key messages and how what you're saying is relevant to the student
• Hand out 2 post-it notes and ask for a piece of positive feedback and a piece of negative feedback. When you collect them all in, you'll have loads of anonymous feedback!
• Pass a notebook around in lectures with a couple of key questions for people to add their opinion
• Using a ballot box is also a simple way of collecting anonymous feedback
• Get a wide scope of opinion -- don't just talk to your friends!
• Certain people will be more comfortable with certain methods of communication than others so make sure to use a few different ways of collecting feedback
How do I contact my Department Rep? ↓
Your Department Rep plays a huge part in making sure your feedback is represented on Department-wide level!
Contact details for Department Reps 2018/19 will be posted here in September 2018.
What do I do with this feedback?! ↓
STAFF STUDENT COMMITTEE MEETINGS
• These meetings are one of your key opportunities to let staff know what students are thinking!
• They usually occur once a semester. Your Course Administrator will send you the dates, times and locations in advance.
(But you don't just have to wait for these meetings...)
ARRANGE AN INFORMAL MEETING WITH YOUR COURSE LEADER
• Don't let an issue escalate! Drop your Course Leader an email and arrange an informal meeting to discuss student feedback at any time of year.
BRING IT TO EDUCATION ZONE
All Student Reps are invited to attend Education Zone. This is an open forum, held by the Students' Union, which talks about anything related to your education. Any problems you've noticed as a Rep, big or small, can be brought here!
You will get the chance to meet other Reps from across the University, see how they're solving problems and get ideas.
Bringing issues to Education Zone means you'll get to raise your issues with your Department Reps, Faculty Reps and Education Officer. Your issues will then be fed into our Students' Union Council - the highest decision making body.
Education Zone dates 2017/2018
10 October 2017, 12 December 2017, 31 January 2018, 22 March 2018
Education Zone tends to be held at 5pm in Coffee Union, The HUBS.
Sheffield Hallam University Rules & Regulations ↓
Guides and Tips ↓
Additional training ↓
Reward and Recognition! ↓
Use your experience as a Rep to apply for the Hallam Award
Nominate yourself (or someone else!) as Rep of the Month
Who can help? ↓
If you have any questions or problems in your role as a Course Rep, there are staff at Sheffield Hallam Students' Union who can help you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with one of us directly below!
KATIE DAVORN Academic Representation Manager
0114 225 3303
Activities Pod, The HUBS, City Campus
ALISON WORSLEY Academic Interests Coordinator
0114 225 3450
Activities Pod, The HUBS, City Campus
DAVEY SILVER Education Officer
0114 225 6172
The Officers’ Office at The HUBS, City Campus
Within your university department, the key staff you will work with as a Course Rep are your Course Leader and Senior Administrator. They should be able to help if you have any questions about Staff Student Committee Meetings. Please contact us if you are not sure of who this is - we'll find the right person!
0114 225 4148
As a Department Rep, Course Reps or students might approach you with personal problems you don't feel equipped to handle. The Students' Union has an Advice Centre with full-time advisers who can provide information and support on issues ranging from academic appeals to financial advice to housing support!
Join us on Wednesday 16th May 2018 to celebrate your achievements as a Rep this year! More information on nominations and awards coming soon...