An afternoon of speakers, workshops and discussions aiming to support Black Minority Ethnic (BME) students to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence to take up leadership opportunities! You'll have the opportunity to hear from BME Leaders and speakers who have excelled to leadership positions in a range of sectors nationwide including locally in the Students' Union.
You'll also have the chance to develop practical skills in workshops on leadership, confidence, resilience and more. Throughout the afternoon, you'll be able to meet like-minded people, ask questions, share experiences and consider how you can progress to further leadership opportunities!
We are pleased to announce that this year's guest speaker will be social media influencer Breeny Lee! Other speakers include Hallam's own Professor Laura Serrant who was named the 8th most influencial black woman in the UK and more...
BME in Leadership Running Order
2:30pm -3pm REGISTRATION
3 - 3:15pm WELCOME
- Introduction from Davey Silver (Education Officer) and Mohammed Abdulredha (Welfare and Community Officer)
3:15 - 3:45pm GUEST SPEAKER Q&A - BREENY LEE
- Social media influencer with a following of over 160,000 people across her social platforms which include YouTube and Instagram
3:45 - 4:45pm LEADERSHIP SKILLS WORKSHOP - DR MUNA ABDI
- 'Building resilience and breaking down barriers'
4.45 - 5.15pm FOOD SERVED
- Meet and greet with Breeny Lee
5.15 - 6.15pm WORKSHOPS
- Confidence - Delivered by Professor Laura Serrant (Professor of Nursing, SHU)
- Campaigning - Delivered by Illyas Nagdee (NUS Black Students' Officer)
6.15 - 6.20pm BREAK
6.20 - 6.50pm PANEL DISCUSSION
- Breeny Lee, Professor Laura Serrant, Dr Muna Abdi, Illyas Nagdee
6.50 - 7pm CLOSE